The city of Dayton and the Ku Klux Klan-affiliated group it took to court have agreed to a consent decree that will allow the Honorable Sacred Knights to cover their faces with masks and have certain weapons but limit other firearms while rallying on Courthouse Square.
Dayton City Attorney’s announce they’ve entered into a consent decree(court agreement) with the Honorable Sacred Knights of Indiana laying down ground rules for rally set for May 25th. pic.twitter.com/rANjONNNWb
— Mike Campbell (@MCampbellWHIO) May 13, 2019
Dayton filed a lawsuit March 13 in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court citing a danger to the community if Klan members and their supporters were allowed to rally in a paramilitary manner.
The Honorable Sacred Knights, an Indiana group, said last month it would not agree to all the terms of a consent decree the city originally proposed to resolve the lawsuit.
The city presented the Klan group with at least 14 specific stipulations for the rally.
During a press conference Monday afternoon, an attorney for the city said that they got most, but not all, of the items they wanted in the consent decree.
Two of the main items the Honorable Sacred Knights did not agree to were keeping their faces uncovered an not carrying handguns if legally allowed.
“Most will have their faces covered by facemask/bandana,” Robert Morgan with the Honorable Sacred Knights wrote to city attorneys.
The group told the city it was willing to comply with a majority of the provisions, including not dressing in paramilitary or tactical gear and not carrying long guns or assault rifles to the 1-3 p.m. rally.
The agreement also allows only the people on the permit to be at Courthouse Square on the day of the rally, according to the city.
Dayton police will control access to the square and will likely escort the Honorable Sacred Knights to and from the area.
The consent decree was filed Monday by Judge Barbara P. Gorman.