President Donald Trump in Scornful Attack on North Korea Over Missile Test Threatening WW3

Source: The Internet/Borderless News Online

 

The President of the US took to Twitter to make his feelings known about the rogue state’s latest missile launch today.

He tweeted: “North Korea has shown great disrespect for their neighbour, China, by shooting off yet another ballistic missile…but China is trying hard.”

It has sparked widespread fears that North Korea’s repeated tests edge the world closer to World War 3.

Fresh from his international visit to Saudi Arabia and meetings with European leaders to discuss NATO, Mr Trump is using Twitter again to comment on world affairs.

His scathing response to the secretive state comes after Kim Jong Un’s regime tested the international community’s patience yet again with another missile launch.

North Korea fired at least one short-range ballistic missile on Monday that landed in the sea off its east coast, the latest in a fast-paced series of missile tests defying world pressure and threats of more sanctions.

Monday’s launch followed two successful tests of medium- to long-range missiles in as many weeks by the North, which has been conducting such tests at an unprecedented pace in an effort to develop an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of hitting the mainland United States.

South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff spokesman Roh Jae-cheon said North Korea was likely showing its determination to push ahead in the face of international pressure to rein in its missile programme and “to pressure the (South Korean) government to change its policy on the North.”

It was the third ballistic missile test-launch since South Korea’s liberal President Moon Jae-in took office on May 10 pledging to engage with the reclusive neighbour in dialogue.

President Moon said sanctions alone have failed to resolve the growing threat from the North’s advancing nuclear and missile programme.

Mr Roe said the missile reached an altitude of 120 km (75 miles).

“The assessment is there was at least one missile but we are analysing the number of missiles.”

North Korea, which has conducted dozens of missile tests and tested two nuclear bombs since the beginning of 2016 in defiance of U.N. Security Council resolutions, says the programme is necessary to counter U.S. aggression.

The White House said President Donald Trump had been briefed about the launch. The U.S. Pacific Command said it tracked what appeared to be a short-range ballistic missile for six minutes and assessed it did not pose a threat to North America.

The United States has said it was looking at discussing with China a new U.N. Security Council resolution and that Beijing, North Korea’s main diplomatic ally and neighbour, realises time was limited to rein in its weapons programme through negotiations.

U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, asked what a military conflict with North Korea might look like if diplomacy failed, warned on Sunday it would be “probably the worst kind of fighting in most people’s lifetimes”.

“The North Korean regime has hundreds of artillery cannons and rocket launchers within range of one of the most densely populated cities on Earth, which is the capital of South Korea,” Mattis told CBS news programme “Face the Nation”.

“And in the event of war, they would bring danger to China and to Russia as well,” he said.

China reiterated that U.N. Security Council resolutions had “clear rules” about North Korean missile activities and it urged Pyongyang not to contravene them.

China’s foreign ministry said in a statement: “The situation on the Korean peninsula is complex and sensitive, and we hope all relevant sides maintain calm and exercise restraint, ease the tense situation as soon as possible and put the issue back onto the correct track of peaceful dialogue.”

 

 

Source: Express

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


2 + ten =