The state of Illinois reportedly denied a permit application for an event intended to be hosted by the R&B star R. Kelly.
CNN reported on Sunday that the Springfield Spring Break Jam at the Illinois State Fairgrounds was expected to be hosted by R. Kelly on April 6, according to a flier promoting the event.
But the Illinois Department of Agriculture did not grant the show approval, citing the renewed criticism the musician has faced over sexual misconduct allegations leveled against him.
“That application was under review until Thursday, at which point Illinois Dept. of Agriculture (IDOA) staff contacted the organizer to let them know their application would not be approved,” Denise Albert, the department’s spokeswoman, told the news network.
“Unfortunately, we cannot control when organizers start promoting an event – there was never a signed agreement to host the event at the Illinois State Fairgrounds, only an application.
” Albert told CNN that the scrutiny Kelly is under played into the state’s decision, saying that “the criteria they didn’t meet is security concerns based on recent protests.
” IDOA said that the organizers of the event failed to meet three of the department’s requirements for granting privileges or contracts to prospective lessees. The three requirements generally focused on the security of the premises and the “the welfare of the general community,” according to CNN.
It appears that the show may continue without Kelly. An advertisement for it now says it will take places at the Illinois State Fairgrounds’ Exposition Building, according to CNN. Rapper Yella Beezy, who was on the initial flier for the event, is mentioned in the new one as well.
Kelly has repeatedly faced sexual misconduct accusations over the years, but has never been convicted of charges.
A new documentary series, “Surviving R. Kelly,” released earlier this month revisits some of the allegations and has reignited scrutiny of the 52-year-old singer. Multiple women detail decades-long accusations of sexual abuse in the series.
It’s led to protests, including one in front of the musician’s Chicago music studio.
Steve Greenberg, a criminal defense attorney representing Kelly, told The Associated Press that “the allegations aren’t true because he never knowingly had sex with an underage woman, he never forced anyone to do anything, he never held anyone captive, he never abused anyone.”