A 12-year-old Kentucky boy has died in an early morning house fire.
Authorities said that the boy’s body was found on his bedroom floor Wednesday morning after the flames were extinguished.
The child’s grandfather said he went back into the burning house to try to save a dog that slept in his bedroom.
“Was coming out. When they got out, they turned around and he wasn’t with them, he went back in,” the grandfather told our reporter. “They had dogs inside that perished and my grandson went back inside after his. Couldn’t make it back out.”
Officials said two adults and a 5-year-old girl made it out of the home, though one adult was taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
The fire started just after 4:00 a.m. and the Science Hill fire chief believes the high winds at the time caused it to spread.
Family members said they used a heat lamp to keep cats warm on the back porch. It is unclear whether this caused the fire or not, but the fire marshal’s office is investigating.
The 12-year-old was a 6th grader at Science Hill Independent School.
“Hard worker. Responsible. Just the kind of kid others want to be around. Teacher and staff just loved him,” said Jimmy Dyehouse.
The child’s grandfather said the boy once made a promise to him that he is no longer able to keep.
“He’s smart. He said, ‘Papaw, I want to get a good job when I get big. And take care of you when you get old.'”
Grief counselors will help students when classes resume after the cold snap.
“We’re going to love on them, pray for them. Ask God to bless them in a way only he can,” said Dyehouse.
Officials have not released the names of those involved. We will update this as we learn more.